Thursday 10 November 2016

Free time

Give my kids some free time and the huge differences between them will instantly show up. By this I mean electronic free free time - we limit screen time a lot because I guess today that is almost everyone's first choice. Or well, maybe.

You will find L playing anything involving a ball out in the garden. He has even devised a rugby game by himself and bats balls against the wall for cricket. I have to mention that they have mean home cricket games with one bowler, one batsman and one wicket keeper/field worker. But give L a few minutes on his own and he will be outside.

A will disappear quietly and you will find her on her bed in her room with her nose in a book. There is nothing more tempting to her than a good book. I truly understand this as it is quite possibly my natural first choice too. Both of us have fiction as our favorite poison.

In the corner of the living room is a little desk that is littered with paper and pencils. This is mainly C's kingdom where you will find him sketching away. I do think he has a wonderful talent - he turned that black out cardboard into this wonderful sketch the other day. Remember that all mistakes will show on this.

Although all 3 activities has huge benefits and we encourage them all I wish my boys would read a bit more just because it is so very crucial to fast and good learning. From grade 4 on good reading is absolutely essential. Both boys are good, but reluctant readers. C does not in general appreciate fiction where L is a bit easier to entice. I have no problem with them reading non fiction, but then it must be sensible non fiction. I honestly thought that we did all to grow natural readers but in all honesty I do not think everybody is lover of reading and we should appreciate the differences.

With exams around the corner A is spending a lot of time studying and she likes to work in a late afternoon session (about 17:00 - 18:00) and then one after dinner. So in order to get the reading habit growing I have now imposed a "study" time for the boys too - or more acceptable - a read together time. We have tarted with about half an hour and will try and grow it. It involves me sitting with them reading our own books. I do hope this has a positive impact. Our two sessions up to date went down well and I do love that we sit close together and read - a nice and warm feeling.

By the way - did you know that the Nordic Noir writer Jo Nesbo also wrote children's books? I have very seldom seen C so enjoying a book like this one (Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder) - holding thumbs it is the magic book that brings the reading love to him. The book I am reading is a real gem - expect a review soon

Any advice?

13 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic idea! Sitting together and reading our own books. I'll be trying this with mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that their differences pop up so easily :)

    We love reading together time. I must confess, I started it because I wanted to read my book. So I say to them, go fetch a book or pile of books and come downstairs. I'll make the tea :)

    And we read and drink tea. We can keep it going for a good 30 minutes before they want to move onto something else, but I keep on reading :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I have read more this week than in a long time - although the fact that I am reading a jewel of a book helps

      Delete
  3. I didnt know that Jo Nesbo writes children's books! Definitely a must for Mik's christmas stocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrow ours - and then you buy the second one in the series and we borrow that?

      Delete
  4. We also try to limit Liam's screen time. It's amazing how nasty and mean he gets when he's been watching YouTube or playing on the cellphone. He's a different kid without it. Liam doesn't read more than he has too. We want to change this and try to sit in bed together before bedtime to read a book. It doesn't always go down that way but we are making an effort. It's tough if the kid isn't a natural reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really not prepared for how tough it is = was lulled into blissful unawareness with our first born reader addict

      Delete
  5. A real artist in the making. Fjord absolutely loves reading, I love seeing him engrossed in a book, this week he has been chuckling over 'Dirty Bertie' stories

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is what makes everyone unique. I used to be an avid reader as a teenager but these days I have so much more occupying my time. Not everyone sadly is a big reader and I think you are doing your best with the boys. Unfortunately you can't force it as that might make them think reading is a chore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading so much, it would break my heart if my HB is not a reader. He does love bookshops and buying books. He is unable to read on his own yet, but we often sit together "reading" I will read with him and then leave him to it, or sometimes I get him just to read...he makes up his own story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ai, ek het altyd gewens my kinders sou my liefde vir boeke erf. Die seuns was nog nooit lief vir lees nie...Bianca is, maar met Stefan wat haar so besig hou, kry sy maar min tyd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I are avid readers, and it's important to us that our toddler has a good relationship with books and reading. So what we have done is made his books readily available to him. We moved our coffee table into a corner of our lounge, and all his books are there, in his reach. It's worked well for us so far...when he's playing on his own, we'll often find him standing at his table, paging through his books. While one or two books have had to have a few pages taped back, it's now reached a point where he tries to turn the pages gently, sits and repeatedly pages through the same book, and if he wants us to read to him, he brings us the book! It's so encouraging to him develop a love for books! Good luck! Megan xx

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?