Tuesday 14 June 2016

Yeah - Tuesday books day

Yes, that time of the week - let's talk books! And although my last book post was one of my least commented on I shall persist with this because I do love them and I know there are a few of you who particularly drop by for the book posts.

Today I will be reviewing two South African books - one in English and one in Afrikaans (which I will do in Afrikaans). I have joined a few Facebook pages dedicated to books and on one of them there was a recent discussion on South African books. The initial poster mentioned that she is not reading any South African books at the moment as she is finding them "as depressing, violent and sad as the general state of the country". This triggered a days long discussion about South African books and authors. Most other members were quite shocked by this and posted many alternative South African reads that will not fit the depressing, sad and violent category. Neither of the books I am reviewing fit this description - although  there is possibly enough violence in "Skarlaken" it is the type that will be found in any good murder mystery and reminds one of the great Scandinavian crime writers.  So , before you read or skip over the reviews - please tell me which South African books or authors do you enjoy or do you also find South African fiction depressing, violent and sad? And what are you reading right now?

The Sculptors of Mapungubwe By Zakes Mda
 Imagine being able to look into the past and live in the thriving gold rich city of Mapungubwe. I have always been fascinated by the history of South Africa before the recorded part we know so well. By the little gold rhino and the other artifacts. By the links to the Eastern African kingdoms and talk of trade with the East.

In this book Mda draws a beautiful and detailed picture of the city state with the story of two "brothers" - rivals in every way , the two lead sculptors of Mapungubwe. It is the age old story of jealousy and betrayal, of love for a woman and power over many. He imagines the city and describes it so well that it forms a complete picture in your head - prompting me to read about it and what is knows to us today.

Well researched but also colourfully imagined this is a n intriguing and captivating read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.


Skarlaken deur Irma Venter
Om een of ander rede het ek tot nou toe nie 'n enkele Irma Venter book gelees nie . Hierdie een het ek in die boekklub krat opgetel, dieselfde aand begin lees en kon hom nie neersit voordat ek klaar was nie. Wat 'n heerlike ontdekking - nog 'n lekker speurstorie skrywer in Afrikaans.

Jaap Reynecke kan nie die dood van sy peetkind, Janien Steyn daar laat tot hy haar moordenaar gevang het nie. Al is dit nou 3 jaar later. Hy vra Sarah Fourie, hacker en rekenaar genie om hom te help in sy ondersoek en kort voor lank bevind sy haar kniediep in die omdersoek.

Janien is kort voor haar troue met haar universiteitsliefde gevries in die pan op hul plaas gevind - halflyf in die modder , op 'n fiets met 'n vliegbril en in haar trourok. Boonop met 'n dekoraiewe skarlaken drapeersel. Op die oog af 'n gewilde kunstenaar en besigheidsvrou ontdek Sarah veel meer oor haar.

Ek het die boek baie geniet- dit het my fasineerd gehou reg tot op die laaste bladsy. Wondelike kleurvolle effe anderse karakters gee die boek sy lewe. Ek kan nie wag om meer Sarah stories te lees nie - uiteindelik 'n sterk vroulike hoofkarakter en protoganis. 

11 comments:

  1. I love Zakes Mda's work. Have a few local people I still want to read. And recently read work by Melissa Delport I enjoyed.

    Right now, my reading has slowed some. What I am reading is thesis related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should read more of his books - he is a fantastic writer. I am possibly the only person in this world that found Rainfall sort of shallow.

      Delete
  2. I don't read any South African authors.

    I'm reading a Deidre Purcell book currently - I instagrammed it the other night on @marcia0608 but I'm not flying through it like I thought I would. I'll give it tonight and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know why you do not read South African books.

      Delete
  3. Goodness, that last Afrikaans book I read was at school, Daleen Mathees' Fiela se Kind. Who hasn't read that.
    Not ready anything now, don't get enough time to really get into a book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is sort of like breathing to me. I can not imagine not reading

      Delete
  4. I love love reading South African authors. I also went through the phase that they are all about apartheid and violence, but I have also gown up and realized that is a major part of our lives, as South Africans. I loved Kringe in die Bos and Fiela se Kind. Deon Meyer is my weekend in bed reading. I love the pace and action and Benny Grissel stories. Bryce Courtney was a little bit not so nice, after I realized all his books are the same storyline. But the first one “Power of One” is still a brilliant book. And I have read just about every Wilbur Smith book out there. Like South African music, we have to get over stereotypes, and just enjoy and appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite possibly the biggest Deon Meyer fan around. I loved "The Power of one" but have read only that one.

      Delete
  5. I've heard so much about Zakes Mda, really must get my hands on one of his books and this book looks like a good place to start. Love your book reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't recall reading any SA authors... Not intentional but I would love to change that. And interestingly I haven't read anything by an author from
    My home country in ages even though there are quite a few popular reads at the moment that many people rave about

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?