Wednesday 24 February 2010

In the Air Tonight

As the first notes of "In the Air Tonight" (Phil Collins) came over the car radio yesterday I was 14 again.The ice skating rink at Sterland was washed in pink merging into blue and the glitterball ran circles of faerie lights on the surface. The hair was big, the outfits had shoulder pads, it was the 80's. We wore jellies and big earrings, coloured swatch watches and pin-up skirts.

I still remember they rubberish smell of the rink, mixed with popcorn from the movies on the floor above. He came skating wearing a high waisted black jean and paisley shirt, confident and stylish. He was in the first rugby team and the school's swimming star.  I was just trying to make out the difference between roller skating and ice skating without making a fool of myself. And I was fresh in Standard 6 - the first year of High school and with a group of girls on a friends birthday party.

He skated over and took my hand and led me around the ring a few times, smiling all the way. Later, when I gained confidence, we skated again, holding hands. My heart was throbbing in my throat.It was a day filled with magic and romance.


First love, always sweet.
80's girl Cat.

Playing along today with Cheryl and Angie:

17 comments:

  1. Hahaha I remember Sterland ice rink, feels like a life time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just seems like yesterday,doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were such a pretty girl what back then too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, i remember days like that like they were ysterday.

    we're obviously never going to 'grow up'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely romantic little post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I remember Phil Collins songs.

    Beautiful picture of you, you were a model.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great memory to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun memory! Thanks for sharing it with us. I could have been at the same rink from all you described. Crazy that across the world we wore the same outfits down to the hair, shoes and watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, what a great memory. You are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this with my mom and it brought back lots of memories for her.

    ps I really want that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heart the 80's...the music, the hott looking guys...the music! I still rock out to 80's; my husband calls it oldies...but he secretly listens too!

    The picture of you is GORGEOUS!!!Did you know H at that time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jamie - no I met Hunter just before my 30th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool story, great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing such a sweet memory! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of the 80's girl Cat! How romantic!

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?