Wednesday 9 April 2008

Sleep's a sweet surprise - or drugging mama

Jip, I have to admit to it. I have drugged the boys for the past two nights. And yes, they've slept straight through. Hallelujahhhh!!! Just a pity the little miss did not.

On advice of the clinic sister, I have given the boys pain meds the last two nights. She explained that as they have consistently been sleeping through the night, they might just have fallen out of routine due to the teething and us sharing the room with them the last two weeks while the in-laws were visiting. They therefore need some help to re-establish the routine and that I should give them the meds with their late evening feed for about 5 nights and see thereafter if they have fallen back into routine. I have also upped their solids to twice a day and have added avocado pear. Additionally I have added iron supplement to their diet as breast babies often experience a period of iron deficiency at about 6 months especially if mommy has a deficiency. (Gosh, I didn't know that! - did you know that?) Jip, that's me. Add to that consistent low blood pressure and you have a recipe for exhaustion.

Back to the little miss. She still has a terrible cold and woke up at about 2 last night from the rumble of distant thunder. She refused to have dad with her and I had to get into bed with her to try to get her back to sleep. Tossing and turning continued for hours and hours (or it felt like that). At last crept back to bed at 3:30. Today the old body is aching and burning from sharing a toddler bed with a 3 year old.

At work, pressure is rising and my star staff member resigned! Because she hates our CAD programme! Teary eyed she explained she has to move on and can not stand to work on the programme - oh how I hate teary eyed staff members. She wants to work on Revit - the new "hot" programme. At half a million rands to convert our office we simply can not afford to do it at present. In any event, I thought she was a friend as well - maybe once she has moved on we will be able to get a decent friendship going. Our daughters differ only a day in age. The playdate possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming to visit again! It's lovely to see you've got a new blog -- just for you. It's a wonderful outlet, that's for sure.

    I'm sorry that not everybody is sleeping at your house; it's got to be difficult to be up through the night and then have to deal with employees all day.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?